Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Constructivist Learner

What kind of a learner does Constructivist Theory promote?

I have come up with these definitions and keywords from readings about constructivist teachers and classroom designs. Of the readings from, in particular, Brooks and Brooks(1999) on Constructivist teacher and constructivist classroom design I inferred the characteristics of the learner or the person Constructivist Theory aims at serving and actually creating (by the end of the education process). While preparing this entry I went googling however I could not find anything worth reading on "constructivist learner".

Characteristics of the Constructivist Learners

General Characteristics
Feel Responsible for their learning
Have developed Awareness.
Have developed Autonomy,
Have developed Goals for learning
Have developed Initiative
Use Strategies
Accept the complexity of life
Respectful to multiple perspectives and world-views
Open minded
Task oriented
Process Oriented
Self-controlling
Realistic
Scientific
Value Generator
Holistic
Articulate
Flexible
Moderate
Humanistic
Innovative
Social
Indulging into the Eperience
Self Motivated
Self Reflective

Personal Traits in the Classroom
Active, Dynamic
Ask questions
Create relationships
Cognitively alert
Collaborative
Self Reflective
Critical
Interactive
Problem solver
Analyzer
Synthesizer
Evaluator
Discoverer
Researcher

5 comments:

awalc408 said...

I am finding al of this information really interesting and useful. I am doing a Persuasive essay on the benefits of constructivism in the classroom. I am a student of a very successful constuctivist class room.

awalc408 said...

*all

Charlotte Reece said...

I read your article some years ago when I was doing constructivist research for my dissertation. It seems to me you are a rare secondary teacher. I am interested in promoting constructivist classroom practices amongst secondary teachers but am limited because I am a high school counselor. One of the most concise and definitive authors on constructivism is Constance Kamii PhD. She writes mostly about elementary classrooms but still her writings would confirm your ideas about the constructivist learner. It's all very interesting stuff. Actually, aren't we all constructivist learners?

Hayley said...

It is interesting that you say scientific. I have just been reading an article for university:

Constructivisim: An Inadequate Philosophy for the Science Curriculum.
Clark, J. (2004)

What are your views on constructivisim as part of the science and Math curriculums?

-Hayley

Alen said...

Yes, our lsat prep courses are appropriate for constructivist learners. Our courses are designed to promote active and hands-on learning, and to allow students to construct their own understanding of the material.